Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sentence Types


句子的形式

A simple sentence consists of only one main idea.

单句里只有一个主要的概念。

e.g.   Janet is my best friend.
          Your shoes are dirty.

A compound sentence consists or two or more simple sentences joined by a conjunction.

复句是由两个或以上的单句,以连词连接而成。

e.g.
I like knitting but my sister likes cooking.
You can come with me or you can stay here.

We can also use a relative pronoun to join sentences.

我们也可以用关系代词来连接句子。

e.g.
I know the man. He took your motorcycle.
I know the man who took your motorcycle.



Exercise 21 a
Write ‘S’ for the simple sentences and ‘C’ for compound sentences.

1. My mother works as a clerk in this 
    company. (      )

2. The class is making a lot of noise. (      )

3. We waited for the men buy they did 
    not turn up. (      )

4. He set up the tent while Jane made the fire. (      )

Exercise 21 b
Complete the compound sentences by using ‘and’, ‘or’ or ‘so’.

1. I switched on the cooker _____ Molly 
    put in the rice.

2. We have visitors tonight _____ my mother
    is cooking a lot.

3. We have to hurry up _____ we will be late.

Exercise 21 c
Join the simple sentences using ‘who’, ‘which’ or ‘whose’.

1. That is the boy. He helped the old man yesterday.
    ____________________________________

2. Janice gave some food to the dog. 
    It had a broken leg.
    ____________________________________

3. We donated some money to the pupil. 
    His father was struck by cancer.
    ____________________________________


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank's for sharing.

WIndy Day said...

U too.
:-)

Followers

zwani.com myspace graphic comments